Starting Salary Range:$80-$95K
Excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, retirement, life insurance and paid vacation & sick leave.
Do you take a proactive approach to problem-solving? Are you an excellent communicator and have strong analytical skills? Do you enjoy leading people and developing operations plans? Are you ready to make a real difference in the effectiveness and efficiency in the provision of economic development services, and governmental programming? If so, you have found the ideal position as SEDA-COG’s Deputy Director of Operations.
Our vision is to be the most trusted and highly regarded community and economic development agency in the Commonwealth! To do that we have to operate differently than yesterday, we need to measure our impact to the communities we serve differently, and we need to deliver enhanced value to our region with an entrepreneurial spirit. .This position is critical to realizing this vision by ensuring optimal agency performance and strengthening the productivity and efficiency of day-to-day business operations, all in alignment with the organization’s vision, mission, goals, and cultural values.
The Deputy Director of Operations reports to and works closely with the Executive Director and is the “second in command” of the organization, stepping in when the Executive Director is unavailable or unable. The position involves overseeing and improving the day-to-day administrative and operational functions of several programs and is expected to help provide organizational leadership while supporting the SEDA-COG mission.
A priority role of this position is to support the Executive Director by mentoring, coaching, and supervising Program Directors, and Division Chiefs, enabling them to achieve their program goals and to maximize their potential impact. The work of this position also includes ensuring the delivery of high quality services and evaluating staff performance, policy adherence, and facilitating conflict resolution. An additional primary function of this position is to identify and explore opportunities for synergy, efficiency, and cross-training across program areas within SEDA-COG.
The Deputy Director of Operations helps promote, support, and execute the strategic visions, goals, and directions of SEDA-COG as well as keeping the Executive Director appraised of all program issues and accomplishments.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Yes
Essential Job Functions
Leadership & Management
- • Positively influence a culture of collaboration, recognition, and celebration in all activities and responsibilities.
- • Acts as SEDA-COG representative/spokesperson for meetings, events, and other occasions when Executive Director is unavailable.
- • Work with Executive Director on organizational strategic planning and ensuring strategic plan goals and objectives are communicated through all levels of the organization and are being met.
- • Oversee and work with Program Directors and Division Chiefs to ensure optimum service delivery, efficient operations, compliance, and provide general guidance and technical assistance, as needed
- • Facilitate interaction, coordination, and collaboration between programs, teams, divisions, and administration.
- • Assess, manage, and coordinate processes, procedures, and systems by ensuring that consistent and efficient workflows are in place.
- • Create a system whereby metrics, guidelines, and standards of efficiency and effectiveness can be tracked and evaluated across all programs and departments. Assist program and department leaders in establishing appropriate metrics, guidelines, and standards for their area.
- • Develop, implement, and monitor day-to-day operational systems and processes while identifying areas for improvement; implement new or strengthened workflows that will increase productivity and performance.
- • Work with the Operations Administrator to ensure all contracts are in compliance with internal policies and regulatory guidelines/requirements.
- • Coordinate Strategic Initiative activities, identify potential funding sources and develop applications and work plans for proposed initiatives.
- • Work with Human Resources to identify new agency policies.
- • Work with Human Resources to assist in creating and maintaining positive work environment and engaged employees.
- • Administer and complete special projects, as assigned.
Planning & Execution
- • Communicate high-level organizational strategies and goals to all departments, and work with their respective leaders to establish program/department operational plans in support of organizational strategies and goals.
- • Develop short/long-term operational plans and assess the health of the organization on an ongoing basis.
- • Establish a system to enable tracking and evaluating progress to plan.
- • Oversee and ensure customer satisfaction including instituting policy, process, and metrics to evaluate customer satisfaction.
- • Coordinate changes and integration efforts along with Information Technologies Group (ITG)and Communications, where appropriate.
Executive Team Duties
- • Work with the Executive Team to help define new and innovative business strategies that align with SEDA-COG’s mission, vision, and culture.
- • Assist the organization to implement business strategies in a thoughtful and concise fashion.
- • Work with the Executive Team to communicate business strategies and vision in a clear manner.
- • Help to plan, process, focus, and achieve the organization’s growth goals by providing assistance with the development and implementation of the agency’s strategic plan.
- • Work with the Executive Team to evaluate and measure agency-wide and departmental business performance as it relates to the SEDA-COG mission, client need, and bottom-line improvement.
- • Acts as an advisor on overall agency affairs.
Other Related Duties
- • Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Knowledge Requirements
- • Practical first-hand experience handling both internal & external engagements.
- • Exceptional managerial and diplomacy skills.
- • Strong relationship-building skills.
- • Ability to facilitate change management to achieve alignment and engagement
- • Knowledge of continual improvement and process improvement strategies and approaches
- • Experience in navigating the complexity of federal and state programs and activities.
- • Effective communication (verbal and written) including public speaking.
- • Strong organizational skills, attention to detail.
- • Continual learner demonstrating a vital interest in future trends of importance for the organization.
- • Proficient with Microsoft Office programs.
Education and Experience
- • Bachelor’s Degree in Organizational Development, Business Management, Public Administration, or a related field.
- • Minimum of 7 years of experience in organizational management and employee oversight, program development, and strong understanding of community and economic development.
- • Experience implementing successful process evaluation and improvement plans
- • Experience in program development, management, and operations.
- • Experience in financial management including understanding and interpreting financial statements, establishing, and monitoring budgets, capital improvement processes, and basic understanding of operating under grant requirements.
Preferred Education and Experience
- • Master’s Degree in a related field
- • Work experience in county or municipal governance
- • Knowledgeable in Human Resources best practices
Certifications and/or Licenses
- • Valid PA Driver’s License
Applicants are expected to supply a letter of application that elaborates on how their career has prepared them for this position along with a resume or curriculum vitae via mail or email to:
Rosemary Orner, Executive Assistant
SEDA-Council of Governments
201 Furnace Road,
Lewisburg, PA 17837
This position will remain open until filled, and candidates will be evaluated as their application materials are received.
SEDA-Council of Governments is a public development organization based in Lewisburg, PA, serving 11 central Pennsylvania counties. www.seda-cog.org
SEDA-COG…Building strong economies & strong communities
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER